Champion East Fremantle Full Forward

1829 Capt C.H. Fremantle claimed the west coast of Australia for the British crown. First settlers landed.
1831 Round House built for use as gaol; first school opened.
1833 First town plan of Fremantle by Surveyor-General J.S.Roe.
1837 Two whaling companies operating at Bathers Bay.
Construction of small breakwater and tunnel under Round House for transport of goods.
1848 Fremantle Town Trust established (Capt. Daniel Scott, Chairman).
1850 First convicts arrived aboard Scindian (June).
1851 Construction of Fremantle Prison began.
Fremantle Literary Institute established.
1861 Construction of Fremantle Lunatic Asylum began; building completed 1865.
1866 Convict labour used to build first bridge over river at Fremantle.
1868 Last convicts arrived aboard Hougoumont.
1871 Municipal Corporations Act passed; Fremantle Town Council established (W.S.Pearse, Chairman).
1876 Six Fenian prisoners escaped aboard American whaler Catalpa.
1879 Reserve land (now Fremantle Park) vested in Fremantle Town Council.
1881 Perth – Fremantle railway opened.
1883 Fremantle Municipal Council established (Barrington Wood, Mayor).
Central Fremantle streets lit by gaslamps.
1887 Fremantle Town Hall opened 22 June.
Telephone exchange opened in building the following year.
1895 North Fremantle gazetted as separate municipality.
Fremantle Oval first used for football.
Fremantle Hospital established.
1897 Fremantle Harbour opened with arrival of SS Sultan.
Four new hotels opened.
High Street (to Adelaide Street) paved with wooden blocks.
East Fremantle gazetted as separate municipality.
1898 Fremantle Markets built; Mills & Ware opened.
1902 Death of C.Y.O’Connor; Princess May School opened.
1906 Fremantle Tramways opened. Sea baths built near Long Jetty.
1907 Fremantle Railway Station opened adjacent to Fremantle Harbour.
Beginning of South Beach development as holiday destination.
1914-18 Troops embark from Fremantle for WWI. Port used for naval and military purposes.
1919 Bloody Sunday 4 May; lumper Tom Edwards fatally wounded by the butt of a rifle in waterfront industrial dispute.
Spanish Flu epidemic.
1922 Uglieland fairground opened opposite railway station (later, Pioneer Park site); ran till 1936 raising funds for welfare.
1928 Fremantle War Memorial on Monument Hill unveiled Armistice Day, 11 November.
1929 Centenary of Fremantle’s foundation.
Fremantle proclaimed a city 3 June; Frank Gibson first mayor.
1932 Hazel Orme Kindergarten opened: one of first in WA, served as model for future Kindergarten Union preschools.
1939 New traffic bridge opened.
Beginning of Fremantle’s involvement as naval port in WWII.
1948 O’Connor Industrial area established.
Beginning of postwar immigration programmes bringing migrant ships to Fremantle.
1949 Opening of Evan Davies Civic Library in former Fremantle Literary Institute building in South Tce (first wholly rate-supported library in WA).
1952 Closure of Fremantle tram service.
1958 Last students from Fremantle Boys’ and Princess May Girls’ Schools transferred to new John Curtin High School.
1961 North Fremantle re-joined Fremantle City Council
1964 Fremantle Port Authority Building, Fremantle Passenger Terminal and North Fremantle Grain Silos all completed.
New rail bridge (upriver from original bridge) opened.
1967 Esme Fletcher Day Nursery opened; also South Fremantle High School.
1969 Encounter Bay (first container ship at Fremantle) arrived 28 March; official opening of first container berth 29 March.
1971 Former Fremantle Boys School building re-opened as Perth Institute of Film and Television (PIFT)
1972 Former Fremantle Lunatic Asylum building restored; re-opened as Fremantle Arts Centre, 13 October.
Fremantle Society founded.
1974 Stirling Traffic bridge opened 17 May.
1976 Stan Reilly Frail Aged Lodge opened; Fremantle Arts Centre Press founded.
1977 Nunzio Gumina introduced al fresco dining at Papa Luigi’s coffee shop in SouthTerrace, the start of development of the Cappuccino Strip.
1979 Perth – Fremantle railway line closed 1 Sept.; re-opened 29 July 1983.
1984 Work commenced on Challenger Harbour in preparation for the America’s Cup.
1986-87 Fremantle hosted world championship sailing events: World 12 Metre Championships, America’s Cup Defence Series, Tall Ships Race.
Fremantle Town Hall restored and refurbished.
1989 Film and Television Institute (FTI) opened in former PIFT premises, originally Fremantle Boys School.
1991 Closure of Richmond Raceway at East Fremantle; re-developed as residential sites.
Fremantle Prison de-commissioned; building re-opened 1992 as cultural tourism site.
1993 Endeavour (historic barque replica) built in Fremantle, launched on 16 April.
1995 Fremantle Football Club (The Dockers) played first game.
1996 Replica of Endeavour left Fremantle 16th October
1997 Fremantle Hospital, Fremantle Port Authority and Victoria Pavilion celebrated their centenaries.
Replica of Dufken – Keel laid by Crown prince Willem Alexander of Netherlands 11th January
2000 Booyeembara Park established on former Montreal Open Space site; designed and named to honour Aboriginal heritage.
2001 The Whalers tunnel was renovated and reopened to the public.
Monument Hill listed on West Australian Heritage Register.
2002 West Australian Maritime Museum on Victoria Quay opens.
Woodside Maternity Hospital closes.
2003 Old Papa’s on South Terrace closes.
2004 Watson’s Butchers on High Street closes after 75 years.
Fremantle Primary School Centenary.
2005 Fremantle Prison placed on new National Heritage List.
John Curtin Statue in King’s Square unveiled.
2006 Roma Restaurant closes after 52 years.
Duyfken leaves Fremantle.
2007 Royal George Hotel in East Fremantle handed over to the National Trust.
Fire gutted National Hotel, which has been sold & will be restored.
First ‘Cracker Night’ held on Australia Day at Fishing Boat Harbour.
2008 Ban on smoking for outdoor dining areas.
2009 City of Fremantle became first Carbon Neutral local government authority in WA.
2010 Fremantle Prison granted World Heritage Listing.